Now..after you have used it some more with no issue, you need to remove the tin-foil to verify that the problem wasn't simply solved by a repeated re-installation of the standard can ! :)

Curt

Diane and Edward Swynar wrote:
Good Day All,

Well, I think taht an update may well be in order here, as to the outcome of
my "...red-neck hillbilly" (apologies to all you mountain-dwelling folk
reading this) "fix" in the matter of improving the shielding of the PTO can
in my Drake T-4X transmitter...

In a word: it WORKS!!!

SO FAR it works, anyway...again to-day I've completed several CQ calls on
40-meters CW, and was engaged in a couple of lengthy rag chews---and there
was NONE of the previous intermittent tell-tale frequency jumpiness /
intermittent creeping / jiggling... NOTHING. Needless-to-say, I'm very
pleased.

Keep in mind, however, that my situation here was probably unique from most
others: I had repeatedly removed & replaced the PTO shield cover here in
efforts to track-down what turned-out to be at least one bad solder joint in
the tank circuit. No doubt this served to compromise the integrity of the
shielding of the can. Additionaly, my station is situated in a very cold
basement environment, AND I have a fan extracting air out of the final
2x6JB6A PA cage, which by default, cools the entire inside of the
transmitter...

The rig's warm-up cycle was far from normal, as a result, I'm sure...

Anyway, FWIW guys, don't neglect the critical effect that even the smallest
of gap changes in shielding seams can have upon the field of that
permeable-tuned tank coil, and by consequence, your transmit frequency. The
aluminum strip shielding technique employed here may be far from
eye-pleasing, but the benefits of its presence sure are a joy to the ear...!
Hi Hi.

Here's hoping that my travails may ultimately benefit another(s) in the
Drake community...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Diane and Edward Swynar" <deswy...@xplornet.ca>