On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 15:27:13 -0700, Dennis Monticelli wrote:

>As I understand it, the only true concern one should have about the ceramics
>is the piezo effect of the high K material.  This makes the circuit
>microphonic so unwanted acoustic feedback from the PA can take place.  I agree
>that voltage coeficient is not a significant effect unless you're trying to
>build high accuracy stuff.  In the world of integrated circuits of which I'm
>familiar, the votlage coefficient only rears its ugly head beyond the 12b
>level.  At 16b it's a real concern, but we're talking very high linearity here.

Here's the stuff I just sent Richard off-list:

FWIW, here's the most relevant portion of the R-390 discussion:

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 00:05:53 -0400
From: 2002tii
Subject: Re: [R-390] Orange Drop vs ceramic disc
There have been many tests, back to at least the '40s (long before small
surfacemountceramics were a gleam in anyone's eye), documenting this behavior of
ceramic caps. Bob Pease published a chart in EDN in the early '80s comparing
the dielectric absorption-related distortion of various types of capacitors that
showed measured distortion of 1% or more at low audio frequencies for
ceramics (though NP0 caps were much better). (Note that this is a different
mechanism than the voltage coefficient of capacitance, and that both mechanisms
cause distortion independently.)
We comprehensively tested all kinds of capacitors in audio coupling circuits in
the '80s, and I assure you that the distortion from ceramic caps is clearly
audible.
Yes, we used a high-resolution audio system, not a communications radio -- but
different types of distortion are heard more or less independently (that is, one
type -- for example, even-order harmonic distortion, which dominates tube
communications radio distortion -- does not mask another type -- for example,
high-order intermodulation distortion or digital quantization errors, even when
it is present at much higher levels), so the distortion due to ceramic coupling
caps
may very well be audible even in a circuit with 10% even-order harmonic
distortion. We also used signal cancellation techniques to listen to the
distortion
products alone, and the distortion products of ceramic caps are extremely
uglysounding
(high-order, non harmonically-related -- easy to spot at very low levels).
Since it is no effort whatsoever to avoid ceramic caps in coupling applications,
there is simply no reason to use ceramics in those applications (indeed, it is
simply good engineering practice to avoid possible ill effects when there is
little
or no cost to do so).