To: "Donley" <donley...@comcast.net>
Cc: "Drakelist" <Drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] TR-4C Bias Adjustment

Richard -

I've thought about this some more this afternoon, and I think the next step is to measure the PA voltages with the switches set per the manual and see WHAT is missing.

There aren't that many choices, ONE or more of the three are missing or incorrect.

Plate +650 VDC
Screen + 260 VDC
Grid ~ -60 VDC
Cathode ~ 0 VDC

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Donley wrote:
"My guess is that either a KEY is plugged in and open, or the 'shorting' jack, isn't! Try just inserting a phone plug into the KEY jack several times to see if that shorting contact will close as it should. Otherwise just insert a shorted phone plug into the KEY jack."

Garey,

Been there, did that. The key is not plugged in but the jack is shorted as it should be. When set up according to the manual, there is no bias current indicated on the meter when adjusting the bias control, but there is adjustable voltage (around -60 VDC +/- adjustable) on the PA grids. If I switch the sideband back to the "X" position, there is current indicated and I can easily vary it with the bias control and get 100 mA. What is the difference in being in the "X" sideband or opposite sideband position? Both are done with no transmitter gain and I get current in the "X" position and not in the other. Maybe there is an open condition on the sideband switch when it is in the non "X" position.

Question - Is the bias current just plate current with no transmitter gain?

Thanks.
Richard
kc9ub

----- Original Message ----- From: "Garey Barrell" <k4...@mindspring.com>