Garey et al,

I made resistance measurements on the RF Output switch on the LOAD shaft
with the switch in place and wires and resistor attached. I got steady
readings but wasn't satisfied. I removed the switch and made measurements
just on the switch contacts. The open positions were obviously open, but the
shorting functions of the switch were unstable. I replaced the switch with
the only thing that I had which was a slide switch with
snap-and-remain-in-position, not spring loaded for easy return. However, the
LOAD shaft spring is strong enough to return the switch.

EUREKA

The old switch mechanism must have been locking the circuit into the RF
output measurement mode.

I can now adjust the bias current with the switches set in the required
position. However, I can also adjust the bias current with the SIDEBAND
switch set in the X position.
Question 1    Is this normal?

I can also properly tune the transmitter. The PLATE control dips current
like it should. The RF output adjusts like it should. I can tune and load
the transmitter to 440 mA plate current with 185 W output on 40 M. (7.164
MHz.). I have not tried any other frequency. When I activate the mike switch
I see the bias or idle current on the plate meter.
Question 2    Is this normal?

When I huff into the mike, the plate current huffs with me.

I have no operating experience with the TR-4C, so I don't know the answers
to these two questions.

I have a proper switch on order.

A new item popped up though. When I just ever-so-slightly twist the chassis,
the volume level on the speaker drops to about 20 %. I don't know what else
might be affected. If I flex the chassis slightly, the volume comes back. If
I press the mike switch or activate the key, which activates the relay, the
volume level comes back. So it doesn't necessarily take flexure to bring it
back. I am thinking bad solder joint somewhere from my continually flexing
the chassis in turning it over repeatedly, or that the relay contacts are
not as good as I thought they looked. I have a new relay ordered also.

Anyway, the major problem seems to be fixed and I can get it on the air.
Garey, I thank you very much for your help and all the others who chipped in
with suggestions. The Drakelist sure works.

Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Garey Barrell" <k4...@mindspring.com>