Eddy -

The Carrier Oscillator is shifted in frequency by about 900 Hz in the CW position. This is accomplished by putting a capacitor (C177) in series with the ground end of the CO crystal. The MODE switch shorts this capacitor to ground in SSB and TUNE position. So certainly a poor switch contact could easily shift the frequency anywhere from 0 to 900 Hz or so depending upon just how well it shorts that cap.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>


Eddy Swynar wrote:
Hi Again All,

Well, to-day I could have SWORN that some demon had taken possession of the PTO in 
my T-4X transmitter,&  that it was sent to this earth with the express purpose 
of taunting me...!

I mentioned before that last week I re-soldered a visibly bad connection of the 33-pfd. temperature compensating 
capacitor to the board of my PTO, and that---so far!---it appeared to be the proverbial "silver bullet" in 
fixing the "warbling". Well, this morning---at the very moment that I was seriously considering taking the 
"4-Line" on a road trip to the cottage to test the PTO "in the field"---the frequency suddenly 
jumped a coupla KHz, and was raspy-sounding...!

Oh no, here we go again! ("Why do the gods taunt me so...?!").

Turns out---I think!---that I was monitoring the T-4X with the function switch in the 
"Tune" position. By wiggling that switch ever-so-slightly, I could make the 
frequency jump a prescribed amount of KHz----exactly the amount that I get when switching 
the mode switch to Phone.

I wonder if a dirty mode switch may have contributed to my initial confusion in 
this whole matter...?

The testing continues...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ


_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to