Eddy -

Cool!  Sounds like you have it beat, which is always a nice feeling.

Yes, the Johnson transmitters had a beautiful CW signal once they started grid-block keying them. Nice, heavy THUMP when the key was closed that really woke up the receiver AVC! Akin to the 'relay thump' when keying a big AM signal! :-) Let you know that a BIG signal was coming......

Congratulations on your diagnostic skills and perseverance, both of which are sometimes required in large quantities with this stuff.....

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>


Eddy Swynar wrote:
*/
/*
*/Hi Guys,/*

Yesterday I took my R-4receiver & /T-4X/transmitter---the one with the ailing PTO---to the lakeside cottage for a bit of a field trip operation on 40-meters, to validate the effectiveness of my "fix" to the frequency stability...

After some 5 hours of off & on CW operating---and all-the-while monitoring my actual signal on the receiver---it pleases me to no end to report that the intermittent warbling / raspiness / instability of my signal is now */GONE...!!!/*

I made a half dozen or so, QSOs, & specifically asked for a critique of what I sounded like in the contacts I made. To a man, each respondent said that the signal was good---no chirp, no clicks, no /NOTHING/that might be considered to be "...untoward". Two of the fellows that I worked even complimented me on the great "/Drake/sound" coming out of the T-4X, & at least one of them expressed regret that he'd sold his own /Drake Twins /years ago.

One comment that I received---meant to be a compliment, I'm sure!---was that the /T-4X /sounded like an old /Johnson Valiant/transmitter "../.on its best day, when brand new/". I personally can remember with special fondness the note those old rascals emitted, but only /WHEN OLD! /Hi Hi.

*/LESSONS LEARNED:/*

(*1*) Always suspect /MORE/than just one single issue with your PTO in the event of "raspy warbles". Mine was two-fold here, i.e. /TWO/bad solder joints with the 3000-pfd. silver mica cap, and a consequent bad solder joint with the 33-pfd. temperature compensating capacitor (probably my own fault, after my first "fix" to the s.m. cap!), and,

(*2*) Do not discount the "ill effects" that circuitry /EXTERNAL/to your PTO might have upon your signal. I discovered yesterday that I have some serious cleaning / inspection ahead of me in the matter of the function switch of my /T-4X/: by rotating the switch ever-so-slightly off of its "normal" detent, I could induce raspiness & a shift of the frequency of the PTO rather easily---/and with shades of the original ailment! /These rigs are wonderful, to be sure, but they /ARE/fast-approaching the half-century mark in age(!). Rigs---like the owners of same---need a bit of TLC as they grow older. Hi Hi.

I hope this personal saga of mine might serve to inspire others not to give up. Many thanks to all who generously & graciously took the time to share their own personal experiences with me, during the course of my journey of discovery here...

*/~73!~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ/*

_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to