Hello Steve,

How well a rig functions is more important to me than how it looks.  After all, 
the only people that see my shack besides me are non-hams who think even the 
beautiful stuff looks like junk.  Whether the copper chassis is pristine is 
less important than how well the AVC functions.  I own a T-4X with nice copper, 
service tag, clean front panel, no bruises.  But, it's operation is poorer than 
my T-4XB which operates perfectly, but has blemishes on the chassis and some 
worn lettering on the front panel.  I would just use the R-4B as-is.

I know how frustrating it would be to purchase a rig only to find it to be 
modified extensively.  Have never understood the modification urge, am sure 
that the designers were way smarter than me, but it is just another aspect of 
the hobby.  I've been fortunate to avoid that with the single exception of a 
DX-40 whose modifications were all toward improved safety, but still detracted 
from the appearance of the rig.  Sold it "for parts" with full disclosure, but 
mainly because it had some operational issues also.  Unfortunately, that is 
probably where you would be with your R-4B.

GL & 73 Curt

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Steve Wedge 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Monday, September 05, 2011 8:39 PM
  Subject: [Drakelist] What would you do?


  Fellow Drakesters - 

  I bought an R-4B a few weeks ago, sort of sight-unseen, on the assurance that 
it was an "8" (I assumed out of 10, but I won't go there right now...)

  The receiver works very well and pulls in the signals as good as anything 
ever made.  It transceives well with both my T-4X's.  The audio sounds like 
some component values were tweaked, as it has a rich sound with more lows than 
I'm used to hearing.

  Here's the ugly part, and I know there are some of us who are more "purists" 
than others.  I've been tending toward looking for rigs that haven't had a 
heavy hand taken to them - which this one has.  The previous owner moved the 
INJ jack over to one of the SPARE locations (why? Don't know!) - shortening the 
shielded cable to the jack i the process.  He drilled through the "target" that 
the factory provided on the front panel where the headphone jack used to be and 
put a pot with a Drake knob.  This pot is used to vary that AGC delay.  There 
is no longer a headphone jack on the side.  He replaced all the RCA jacks with 
high-quality jacks.  Unfortunately, it appears he used some sort of "tuner 
cleaner" on the bandswitch, but nothing seems to be broken.  There are other 
changes that will be easier to undo - such as going back to the factory panel 
and cabinet screws.

  I'm looking for consensus from our ranks: would you try to put things back, 
leave it but clean it up, or leave it as is?  I'm leaning toward selling it, as 
I found a better one at the hamfest.

  Moral of the story: when buying these on the ham websites - demand pictures 
of front, back and interior as a minimum, unless it's either ridiculously cheap 
or you know the seller!

  73,

  Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

  "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."
  - Joe Walsh

  If the above message appears, it came from Steve's Son of Laptop!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  Drakelist mailing list
  [email protected]
  http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist
_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to