I finally got a chance to take a look at Steve's PTO. As I suspected the frequency jumping is caused by the large (main) tubular cap. I don't know of anything special about that cap, it's marked as an NP0, so I just stuck a Dur-Mica in it's place. I'm sure Drake had a reason for using that type of cap, but darned if I can figure out what it was. Maybe purchasing got a good buy on a box of them! :-) I measured the cap I removed as 92.2 pF, the schematic specifies 82 pF, and the color code reads 93 pF, so who knows.... I selected the Dur-Mica from a bunch of 90 pF ones, and got a 92.3 to replace the original, so hopefully it won't destroy the linearity. Considering that Drake later went to a pair of 45 pF caps and then a 45 and 35 pF pair, the 'good buy' idea gains credence!! I haven't made any checks of linearity yet, and I assume the select at test caps in parallel are used to 'fine tune' for the particular coil.

A steady 2.2 V p-p output into a 1M counter input.

Anyway, it's been sitting on the bench in a Pana-Vise all afternoon and has stayed within 100 Hz, UNTIL the A/C kicks on and blows cool air at it! It's right in the stream of cold air, and so I consider that as STABLE. Of course I don't have a Rubidium standard oscillator to calibrate my counter against, so it could really be "anywhere"!! :-)

The next step is to fashion some sort of reference pointer so I can do at least a rough check of linearity

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line and
TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>



Steve Wedge wrote:

I am with Garey, though, in that I'm still finding it hard to believe that there are problems with both. That would be like getting struck by lightning twice.

I'm still having a hard time thinking it's the supply, as that 0B2 should regulate its output at - what is it? - 108V? That gets dropped through the big WW resistor and ends up as approximately 10 - 12V, which gets dropped by the Zener inside the PTO. To my thinking, even if the 108V were to sag a little, as long as the voltage is above the Zener point, it shouldn't matter as long as there's sufficient current.

Both PTO assemblies - when in the R-4A - seem to be very touchy.

W1ES

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Bill Frost
    Sent: Aug 25, 2011 10:06 AM
    To: Steve Wedge
    Cc: Garey Barrell
    Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Well, it looks like both PTO's DO have issues.

    Hello Steve,

    OK, Great, it will be interesting to see what Garey finds.

    73, Bill

    
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *From:* Steve Wedge <[email protected]>
    *To:* Bill Frost <[email protected]>
    *Cc:* Garey Barrell <[email protected]>
    *Sent:* Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:55 AM
    *Subject:* Re: [Drakelist] Well, it looks like both PTO's DO have issues.

    Cover was on each during the tests.  Tried running it with cover off to try 
and poke at
    components to provoke them ;-)  Of course, I'd have to rig up some way of 
holding the yoke down.
    I'm actually going to send the older one to Garey tomorrow to get a fresh 
set of eyes (and a
    better-stocked parts bin) on it.
    73
    W1ES

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Bill Frost
        Sent: Aug 25, 2011 8:21 AM
        To: Steve Wedge
        Cc: Garey Barrell
        Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Well, it looks like both PTO's DO have issues.

        Hello Steve,

        If you preformed the tests with the PTO cover removed, not a good test, 
you must have the
        PTO yoke spring pulled and clipped to the back of the coil form or ???  
Allowing the
        yoke/slider bar to ride free is not a good test as the PTO will always 
chirp or drift
        around without tension on the yoke/slider bar.  It's best to leave the 
cover on and spring
        engaged during any test of the PTO assembly.

        73, Bill

        
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        *From:* Steve Wedge <[email protected]>
        *To:* [email protected]
        *Sent:* Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:16 PM
        *Subject:* [Drakelist] Well, it looks like both PTO's DO have issues.

        UUT #1: PTO from T-4XB, mounted in R-4A.  R-4A when using its own PTO 
gets chirpy/unstable
        signals after warm-up.
        UUT #2: Original PTO from R-4A, out of the rig.
        Power:
        Internal receiver power
        Station power supply (30A linear), turned down to 11.1V
        monitor: Elecraft K3 tuned to 4917 kHz (approx) with series 10 dB pad 
and x10 scope probe.
        Test setup #1:
        UUT #1 connected to power buss from 0B2 and normal chassis ground.  
Signal output open
        except for test equipment.  Connected to monitor.  Warmed up 
approximately 25 minutes,
signal became unstable. Turned R-4A OFF and immediately connected station supply. Instability would not immediately resume. Long-term, frequency would jump and
        occasionally chirp.
        Disconnected remainder of the 11V buss in the receiver from the PTO so 
that station supply
        was powering only PTO.  After a period of time, instability returned.  
receiver was off.
        Conclusion: UUT#1 (the T-4XB FET PTO) is the source of the unstable 
signals.
        Test setup #2:
        UUT #2 connected to station power supply and monitor same as #1.  After 
about 30 minutes,
        signal was shifting but not as bad as #1.
        Conclusion: UUT #2 also is unstable.
        I need to find a counter now so that I can determine the frequency with 
the cover
        removed.  From that point, I can try stressing individual parts.
        Garey, I may still send the older PTO to you and you can document it.
        This receiver is worth spending the time on as it came out my 
refurbishment looking and
        otherwise sounding very good.  Cosmetically, it's about an 8 / 10 with 
some brown spots on
        the chassis and small scratches on the cabinet.
        Thanks to all for feeding me ideas.  This has been fun but I want to 
finish ;-)
        Steve Wedge, W1ES/4



_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to