>> 
>> 
>> I finally got a chance to take a look at Steve's PTO.  As I suspected the 
>> frequency jumping is caused by the large (main) tubular cap.  I don't know 
>> of anything special about that cap, it's marked as an NP0, so I just stuck a 
>> Dur-Mica in it's place.   I'm sure Drake had a reason for using that type of 
>> cap, but darned if I can figure out what it was.  Maybe purchasing got a 
>> good buy on a box of them!  :-)    I measured the cap I removed as 92.2 pF, 
>> the schematic specifies 82 pF, and the color code reads 93 pF, so who 
>> knows....  I selected the Dur-Mica from a bunch of 90 pF ones, and got a 
>> 92.3 to replace the original, so hopefully it won't destroy the linearity.  
>> Considering that Drake later went to a pair of 45 pF caps and then a 45 and 
>> 35 pF pair, the 'good buy' idea gains credence!!   I haven't made any checks 
>> of linearity yet, and I assume the select at test caps in parallel are used 
>> to 'fine tune' for the particular coil.
>> 


Hi Garey,

Isn't that interesting...? 

That small rascal of a capacitor can be the cause of so many woes to these 
Drake PTOs, either in and of themselves as in Steve's case, or because of bad 
solder joints in mine. I am happy that you've confirmed for posterity what's 
been ailing Steve's unit...

As for mine here, well, since I re-soldered the connections of that white 
tubular capacitor, my travails seem to have disappeared---and I've given the 
Twins here some pretty extensive "road work" to confirm my "fix" here, too.

You know, Garey, it occurred to me: if linearity of the PTO has changed 
dramatically since installing a new cap, what if you were to replace it with a 
smaller value unit---say 80-pfd.---and paralleled that with a small air trimmer 
of some 15-pfd., or so? Space inside the PTO can would pose a challenge, but 
I'm sure it could be done if executed carefully with the right components. If 
linearity suffered, one could always set the air trimmer to a slightly 
different value, & try again. It would be a tedious process, alright, but it 
might have possibilities. 

Indeed, one might even be able to mount the trimmer inside the PTO can & access 
it's setting by way of a small drilled hole in the can itself. An insulated 
tool would have to be used to re-set it, of course. Once the sweet spot has 
been achieved, the hole could simply be covered over with an over-sized piece 
of foil & taped to the can itself with masking tape...

To try & adjust the frequency WITHOUT the can in place, the PTO frequency---in 
my T-4X at any rate---will be some 100+-KHz HIGHER than "normal".

Just a thought.

Anyway, that's certainly good news---thanks so much for sharing your findings 
with the group.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ




_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to