Hi Guys,

I *used* to believe that the hermetically sealed HC-6 type of crystals were 
impervious to aging & changing frequency over time---until I started to 
seriously play around with the old Heathkit SB-line of receivers & 
transmitters, that is! (THAT'S when I learned why the hairline cursor on the 
analog dial read-out is adjustable on those rigs! Hi Hi).

Drake equipment from that same era is certainly not immune to the issue of 
aging crystals. Proof of the pudding is when you "band jump", leaving the PTO 
alone: amazing how much the cursor has to be re-set on some bands to still be 
able to copy the 100-KHz crystal calibrator.

But that's little hardship, & both the Heath & Drake engineers took that into 
account by way of incorporating these features. 

What can REALLY be vexing, though, is when the crystal(s) used in 
carrier-generating oscillator frequencies "migrate": I once had an SB-102 
transceiver that sounded very tinny & nasal-sounding on LSB only---much to my 
chagrin, THAT carrier generating crystal had shifted just enough so as to put a 
goodly portion of my signal REMOVED from the passband of the IF filter!

No amount of dial tweaking / cursor re-adjustment would cure THAT condition!    
: >)

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ
_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to