One other thing as far as Carrier Oscillator crystals. With a little care, you can almost always set the frequency 'better' by ear for best audio, especially since the _CRYSTALS_ inside filters also change, altering the overall shape of the passband slightly. Especially with the Drake where even the BEST adjustment is a compromise.

I'd be willing to bet that very few radios would be at their optimum 'sound quality' by setting the CO crystal to a specific frequency, no matter how many places came after the decimal point! :-)

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>


Jim Shorney wrote:
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 10:10:53 -0400, Eddy Swynar wrote:

What can REALLY be vexing, though, is when the crystal(s) used in carrier-generating 
oscillator frequencies "migrate": I once had an SB-102 transceiver that sounded 
very tinny&  nasal-sounding on LSB only---much to my chagrin, THAT carrier generating 
crystal had shifted just enough so as to put a goodly portion of my signal REMOVED from the 
passband of the IF filter!

I always wondered why some manufacturers didn't put adjustment trimmers in the
carrier oscillator curcuit. This is one of the most critical adjustments in a
SSB radio, and I'm a-r enough about it these days that I check my frequency
counter agianst a rubidium standard before I make adjustments. I actually added
trimmer caps to the HW-101 that I had years ago so I could get it right.


_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to