----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Christensen" <w...@arrl.net>
To: <Drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] T4XB Question

I replaced the three-section electrolytic in my R-4 with no major problems (that Drake chassis is a huge heat sink - make sure you're
using a big iron/gun).

After trying to tackle the filter cap removal from my Drake 1A, I began looking for 200-watt soldering irons. I was (and still am) in shock over the price of new, high-wattage irons. I finally found a used, 40+ year old 200-watt Hexacon iron, and it was still nearly $100. Best as I can figure, the price of new Hexacon and American Beauty irons is held up by demand from commercial sheet metal workers.

Paul, W9AC

You might try local swap meets or junk shops. I've bought several large old soldering irons at such places for a few dollars. You may have to replace the tips but usually you can just file them down a little and re-tin them. I have not looked on ebay for them but its another possibility. Two of my large irons are American Beauty brand and I think the other is Esico both once top brands. The mass of the tip may be more important than the wattage. Modern irons have very little mass so are cooled quickly, for working on old equipment one needs a high mass iron.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles