Bob,

Good feedback. In retrospect, I probably should have gone with either a 100 or 150-watt iron with the high mass shaft ahead of the tip. The perceived size of these irons can be deceiving. I was very surprised by the weight and size of the 200-watt Hexacon iron. It's really too large and heavy to manipulate into small areas, especially where a lot of circuit wiring comes in proximity to the chassis can tabs.

Paul, W9AC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Spooner" <rl...@psu.edu> To: "'Richard Knoppow'" <1oldle...@ix.netcom.com>; "'Paul Christensen'" <w...@arrl.net>; <Drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:47 PM
Subject: RE: [Drakelist] T4XB Question

The requirement for removing filter cap cans is to move a lot of heat energy
into the solder joint in a short period of time, so that the joint
temperature get's high enough fast enough to not heat up everything else
around it as well. (Think PL-259 braid soldering.) This can be done one of
two ways, either with a high mass low-wattage soldering iron (low rate of
energy input, high heat capacity) or with a high-wattage soldering gun (low
heat capacity, high rate of energy input.) The heat transfer is driven by
the temperature difference. If too small an iron is used, the tip
temperature will decrease too rapidly to do the job.

73,
Bob AD3K