From: "Richard Knoppow" <1oldle...@ix.netcom.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:50 PM
To: "John Hudson" <john.hud...@calema.ca.gov>; <anc...@ec.rr.com>; <w1es1...@earthlink.net>
Cc: <captc...@flash.net>; <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Baked Drakes

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Hudson" <john.hud...@calema.ca.gov>
To: <anc...@ec.rr.com>; <w1es1...@earthlink.net>
Cc: <captc...@flash.net>; <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:14 PM

As we all know this has been a hot topic many times on the list. One of my good friends worked at HP Fullerton cleaning, repairing, and aligning test equipment. The process was, as described prior, blowing out dust, removing whose items that water would damage, using a solution of simple green under pressure washer, scrubbing with brush as needed, then rinsing with distilled water, air hose, and baking at heat under 200 degrees for a week. He said transformers were not a problem for this process.

It would be awesome to find photo's or documentation of this process and placed in our document files.

We never had any documentation, just something handed down. I worked for Neeley Sales Division which became the Fullerton office later. We used dishwashing detergent but Simple Green might work better. The transformers and chokes we had trouble with were curiously enough the hermetically sealed ones. That was because the sealing was often not intact so that a little moisture could get in. It would be very difficult to get it out again and it, or perhaps the detergent, would cause arcing and loss of the device. Those transformers and chokes were removed before cleaning. Open frame units would dry out fine and were not a problem. We removed meters and some plastic parts although the drying oven was not hot enough to damage most plastic. A thorough rinse is important as is blowing out the excess moisture with filtered compressed air. Filtered because many air compressors leave some oil residue in the air. Lubrication when necessary was done to factory specs but I have forgotten what was used, probably something gotten from -hp- rather than locally. While I went to training classes at Palo Alto and spent some time at the microwave division factory I never visited the repair shop there so I don't know what procedures they used. We also painted cabinets when required. Note that older cabinets were painted in whatever the current color was so that you will find older instruments that originally came with the dark gray cabinets painted in the almost violet lighter gray or even blue.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles