----- Original Message ----- From: "Garey Barrell" <k4...@mindspring.com>
To: "Gary Winblad" <garywinb...@comcast.net>
Cc: "drakelist" <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] AC-4 (bias mod)

Gary -

Obviously the bias would remain in the Class AB1 area for SSB and AM.

Applying a keyed signal to a non-linear amplifier is a bad idea. Every time the drive is started or stopped there is the opportunity for additional distortion products to be generated. Some SSB distortion is caused by biasing the amplifier too high or too low, resulting in 'compression' or limiting the waveform to less than it's peak. More distortion.

Perhaps we have an amplifier expert on here who can definitively respond to your question. There are no doubt MANY reasons why all transmitters switched to linear operation for CW, in spite of the 'power/efficiency savings. If nothing else than it takes large amounts of drive POWER, more trouble, including greatly increased Grid dissipation.

To me, turning an input signal on and off to a Class C amplifier is asking for trouble. A Class C amplifier is essentially a switch, ON or OFF, and relies on the Q of the tank circuits to 'smooth things out'. A lot of potential headaches for a few percent efficiency increase.

There are LOTS of 'ideas' on the internet that 'sound' good.... :-)

Let us know what you find out!!

There is a lot more than changing bias to converting a linear amplifier of any class to a Class-C amplifier. For one thing the plate impedance and thus tank requirements will be different. Its not trivial. There is a lot of information on designing Class-C amps in older handbooks, maybe even on the web, although I have not looked. The difference in output for a tube with given plate dissipation can be considerable. A Class AB linear has less than 66% efficiency and a Class-C amp around 78% (can be made higher with special tank circuits). Essentially, Class-C amplifiers are pulse integration devices. The plate efficiency is partly a matter of the pulse duration. I think if you want a transmitter primarily for CW or FSK building one from scratch might be best.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles