From: Garey Barrell <k4...@mindspring.com>
To: Gary Winblad <garywinb...@comcast.net>
Cc: drakelist <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:24:40 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] AC-4  (bias mod)

Gary -

Obviously the bias would remain in the Class AB1 area for SSB and AM.

Applying a keyed signal to a non-linear amplifier is a bad idea.  Every time
the drive is started or
stopped there is the opportunity for additional distortion products to be
generated.  Some SSB
distortion is caused by biasing the amplifier too high or too low, resulting in
'compression' or
limiting the waveform to less than it's peak.  More distortion.

Perhaps we have an amplifier expert on here who can definitively respond to
your question.  There
are no doubt MANY reasons why all transmitters switched to linear operation for
CW, in spite of the
'power/efficiency savings.  If nothing else than it takes large amounts of
drive POWER, more
trouble, including greatly increased Grid dissipation.

To me, turning an input signal on and off to a Class C amplifier is asking for
trouble.  A Class C
amplifier is essentially a switch, ON or OFF, and relies on the Q of the tank
circuits to 'smooth
things out'.  A lot of potential headaches for a few percent efficiency
increase.

There are LOTS of 'ideas' on the internet that 'sound' good....  :-)

Let us know what you find out!!

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs