I have had a Drake L-7 sitting on the shelf unused for a few years now and
recently decided to sell it. It has had the power supply updated and the ON/OFF
switch disassembled and cleaned. It had functioned OK the last time I had used
it (2 years ago) with the only problem being an erratic reading Plate Amp meter
(an quick tap on the meter made it come from “zero” to the correct reading).

The problem I am having now (and one that has never occurred before) is the
Load Variable Capacitor is appearing to short some of its plates over a narrow
arc of operation (say 10-20 degrees of arc). I can hear the plates touching
and, of course, the resultant negative effect of the power out going to zero,
etc. I have only had the amp open once to clean the power switch, I could tell
it may have been worked, on as far as the screws on the bottom cover(s) appear
to have been removed at few times.

One thing I have noticed as I looked at the cap with the cover removed is that
I can hear the plates “unshort” if I “torque” the chassis a little bit or
loosen the screw that holds the front half of the Load Cap to the floor. Has
anyone had this sort of problem with one of the variable caps? Can the Load
var. cap be removed easily?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, Texas