----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger White" <rwhitete...@verizon.net>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:53 PM
Subject: [Drakelist] Removing the Load Variable Capacitor on a L-7

I have had a Drake L-7 sitting on the shelf unused for a few years now and recently decided to sell it. It has had the power supply updated and the ON/OFF switch disassembled and cleaned. It had functioned OK the last time I had used it (2 years ago) with the only problem being an erratic reading Plate Amp meter (an quick tap on the meter made it come from “zero” to the correct reading).

The problem I am having now (and one that has never occurred before) is the Load Variable Capacitor is appearing to short some of its plates over a narrow arc of operation (say 10-20 degrees of arc). I can hear the plates touching and, of course, the resultant negative effect of the power out going to zero, etc. I have only had the amp open once to clean the power switch, I could tell it may have been worked, on as far as the screws on the bottom cover(s) appear to have been removed at few times.

One thing I have noticed as I looked at the cap with the cover removed is that I can hear the plates “unshort” if I “torque” the chassis a little bit or loosen the screw that holds the front half of the Load Cap to the floor. Has anyone had this sort of problem with one of the variable caps? Can the Load var. cap be removed easily?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, Texas

One way to find the location of the short is to push a piece of paper between the plates. If there is a short in only one place this will find it. Use an ohm meter from rotor to stator to indicate the short. If its caused by a particle of something the paper may also clean it out. You may also have a bent plate. If so the rotary position of the plates where it shorts is a clue to the location. Check visually for overall centering of the plates. If they are off center check the bearing at the back of the capacitor. You can adjust it to get perfect centering. If this is from something that has gotten in-between the plates canned air may also get it out.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles