Da: "kb8bku"
A:"Adriano"
Inviato:Sun, 9 Feb 2014 12:02:21 -0500
Oggetto:Re: [Drakelist] My beloved R-4C is dead :(

Adriano,
If I understand correctly, you hear practically nothing from other
stations, but you can hear your own transmitter (very weak), but
shifting either receiver or transmitter VFO does not change what you
hear.  To me that suggests the the signal you are hearing is not
going (properly) through the VFO mixer stage.  You might have lost
your VFO or 1st mixer tube or some other component in that area.
The first thing I would do is substitute that mixer tube if I had one.
 You could tap/wiggle that tube with the receiver on to see if you
detect any intermittent connections.  Give the tube pins a good close
inspection for corrosion.  They might benefit from a cleaning of the
pins on that tube with wire brush or some gentle scraping with a
knife, or dental scrapper, or some other technique.  You could apply
some Deoxit to the cleaned pins with a Q-tip type applicator.  If you
have a tube pin straightener, use it on that tube, or visually
(carefully) straighten the pins if they are bent, but be gentle and
sparing so as not to break the tube.
I would measure voltages/resistances around the 1st mixer and compare
to the manual, but you said you are not a technician, so don’t do
this if you are not comfortable with the procedure.
To establish weather or not the VFO is working, you could try to hear
it with another receiver.  Both receiver and transmitter VFOs are
4.955-5.455 Mhz. Try to hear the transmitter first.  If you can hear
that one, the same technique should work for the receiver.
I have an R-4A, and am speaking from radio theory in general rather
than from any specific experience with a C-line receiver.
Good luck,
KB8BKUDarryl