I picked up an R-4C in the flea market this year at Dayton.  It was a later
one, made sometime in 1977.   I noticed that the mixer tubes, 6EJ7's are
original and GE with date codes 1977 and were made in Great Britain.  The
plates on these 6ej7's are mesh, not solid.    I've always thought that
Drake used Sylvania tubes and that their 6EJ7's are quieter than most - less
crackling noise.   Did Drake try these mesh plate tubes  to address the
noise issue and are they any better?

Finally, the PTO has metal gears on it, not molded nylon.    Was that a
design change?

73 NO8J