On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 7:22 AM Christian König
<christian.koe...@amd.com> wrote:

> Am 09.04.24 um 18:37 schrieb T.J. Mercier:
> > On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 12:34 AM Rong Qianfeng <11065...@vivo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> 在 2024/4/8 15:58, Christian König 写道:

> >> In fact, we have already used the user-level dma-buf memory pool in the
> >> camera shooting scenario on the phone.
> >>
> >>   From the test results, The execution time of the photo shooting
> >> algorithm has been reduced from 3.8s to 3s.
> >>
> > For phones, the (out of tree) Android version of the system heap has a
> > page pool connected to a shrinker.
>
> Well, it should be obvious but I'm going to repeat it here: Submitting
> kernel patches for our of tree code is a rather *extreme* no-go.

Sorry I think my comment led to some confusion. I wasn't suggesting
you should take the patch; it's clearly incomplete. I was pointing out
another option to Rong. It appears Rong is creating a single oversized
dma-buf, and subdividing it in userspace to avoid multiple allocations
for multiple buffers. That would lead to a need for a partial sync of
the buffer from userspace. Instead of that, using a heap with a page
pool gets you kind of the same thing with a lot less headache in
userspace, and no need for partial sync. So I wanted to share that
option, and that can go in just Android if necessary without this
patch.