Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:08:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Keith Whitwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Dri-devel] Using drm (fwd)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:45, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > The DRM is an architecture for accessing hardware directly.
> > >
> > > What functions are implemented in any given kernel module is driven by
> > > the requirements of the applications running on top of it. That's
> > > typically OpenGL at that point.
> >
> > Daryll, did you read the questions ? I am asking specific things about drm
> > interface. Like what drm handles mean, for example.
> >
> > > So, most of the drivers are not going to have a function call to support
> > > your arbitrary DMA.
> >
> > I am not interested in most drivers. Heck, I am not even looking for that
> > function. I want to know what can I do with the buffer I allocated using
> > drm.
> >
> > Now, I aprreciate your desire to provide some advice, but I am not
> > interested in general considerations of writing a DMA driver. I want to
> > know answers to specific questions, like
> >
> >   What "AGP Offset" is used for ?
> >
> > it is not specific to any card, it is not specific to what I am trying to
> > do. Can anyone answer it ?
>
> First, your best bet is to read and understand the 3d driver associated with
> whatever hardware you're looking at.  Most of the questions you are asking
> can be most easily answered by examination of the code.

That's what I am trying to do. With not much luck so far. The reason (at
least to me) is that the 3d driver is the interaction of 3 parts: kernel
drm module, XFree driver (like radeon_dri.c) and the dri part (whatever
goes into radeon_dri.so).

> Second, it is easiest to answer your questions if you refer to specific lines
> in specific files.  There is no variable called "AGP Offset" anywhere in the
> drm.  Maybe there are some with similar names, but I can't tell which one
> you're talking about.

Finally, someone who knows the stuff :)) No, there is no such variable,
but this phrase I plucked from the comment. Here is an example from
radeon.h:

                                /* CP vertex/indirect buffer data */
    unsigned long     bufStart;        /* Offset into AGP space */
    drmHandle         bufHandle;       /* Handle from drmAddMap */
    drmSize           bufMapSize;      /* Size of map */
    int               bufSize;         /* Size of buffers (in MB) */
    unsigned char     *buf;            /* Map */
    int               bufNumBufs;      /* Number of buffers */
    drmBufMapPtr      buffers;         /* Buffer map */

Now, from these I guess that *buf is where I can access the data directly
for Xserver. bufSize is the size of the thing - does it have to be in MB ?
Or just page-aligned is fine ? bufStart - what do I use this for ? Can I
use it to reference data in the buffer or do I have to add or subtract a
magic number from it before writing into card's registers ? (and to answer
your questions: I have made a copy of the same fields /with buf replaced
with capture and allocated space.. nothing seems to crash.., 3d workds,
1mb is reserved someplace. /)

> Thirdly, nobody's got the time or patience to explain the entire workings of
> the drm to you.  Make an honest attempt to read and understand the code.  Ask
> a few questions and you'll get a few answers.  Ask a thousand questions and
> you will be lucky to get any at all.

Ok, I'll leave the other questions for later.

                            Vladimir Dergachev