On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 04:09:29PM +0000, Josef Karthauser wrote:
| You reckon?  I was told by a group of games writing guys (currently
| working on Xbox) that Direct3D is getting closer and closer to OpenGL in
| functionality.
|
| Which opinion is correct?

D3D has been absorbing OpenGL technology since the beginning, and
vendor-specific OpenGL extensions have been absorbing D3D technology for
the last three years or so.  If you include the vendor-specific
extensions on the OpenGL side, there's not a huge gap between the two
APIs.

(Now that D3D includes curved surface support, the biggest difference
that I can remember offhand is the image-processing pipeline in OpenGL,
and I hear that difference will be erased eventually.)

A number of the complaints about OpenGL lagging behind are due to the
ARB's lack of standardization for some of the functionality that's
currently available only in vendor-specific extensions.  These are valid
criticisms, though I note that in practice you can usually do whatever
you need to do via the extensions; it's just more hassle than it should
be.  And the ARB is working on the problem.

Allen