On 2002.03.10 15:55 Frank C. Earl wrote:
> On Sunday 10 March 2002 11:44 am, José Fonseca wrote:

> Sorry for being silent for so long gang.  Been, yet again, crushed under
> with lovely personal business.  I have started a new branch
> (mach64-0-0-3-dma-branch), and I'm actually putting the hacks I've been
> playing with into a unified DMA framework.  I should be putting the first
> updates to the branch in over the next couple of days.

I look forward to check it out.

> Of note, when I did find some spare time, I ran tests on what we needed
> to do
> to secure the chip's DMA path.  I found out some interesting facts.
>
> It will accept any values written to the registers.
> It will not act on any of those settings during the DMA pass unless
> they're a
> GUI specific operation when it's doing a command-type DMA.
> It will not act on many of the settings after a DMA pass is complete.
> It will not let you set up any sort of DMA pass during the operation.
> Junk commands, by themselves, do not seem to hose up the engine in
> operation.

I didn't fully understand the implications of above, but shouldn't the
direct access to the chip registers still be denied to clients?

> Mapping and unmapping a memory space is somewhat compute intensive.

This one has to be compared to the time that takes to copy a buffer,
unless there is a way to do it in a secure manner without copying or
unmapping.

> --
> Frank Earl

José Fonseca