> If you had changed the last but one with the last but two value,
> then your eps would have looked nicer.

I chose that order intentionally. It is the order of screen
resolutions. The last two modes are double scan modes. Even though they
have a lower resolution they are slower, since the pixel clock is
higher. As they fit into the rest of the curve very well it is
reasonable to assume that the frame rate is only affected by the CRT
refresh.

Since the impact of different modes on the frame rate was so dramatic I
first thought the driver did some operations on the physical screen
resolution instead of the window size. This suspicion has been ruled
out now.

> Anyways, the numerical sum of both values is at about 270-280 for
> your setup, so you could assume edges like this:
> - If turning off ramdac reading totally, then gearls will run with 280
> fps.
> - If you could bring up pixel clock to 280 then any rendering
>   (not only gears) will stop. (whilst the sync cyles a bit might get
> trough.)

I guess more expensive graphics cards have much faster RAM or a better
organisation of RAM which allows accessing different parts of the RAM
in the same clock cycle.

Regards,
    Felix

__Tschüß_______\_6 6_/___/__ \___/__ \___/___\___You can do anything,___
_____Felix_______\Ä/\ \_____\ \_____\ \______U___just not everything____
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]    >o<__/   \___/   \___/        at the same time!