On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:35:17AM -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:
| On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:09:28AM -0700, Allen Akin wrote:
| > Also, I wouldn't want to encourage app developers to use the absence of
| > an extension string to determine whether a core function is hardware
| > accelerated.  ...
|
| I'm not suggesting that the semantic be "if it's in the extension string
| then it is absolutely accelerated."  There are plenty of other things in
| core OpenGL that don't meet that.  I am suggesting that the semantic be "if
| it's NOT in the extension string then it is absolutely NOT accelerated."

That's exactly what I was worried about.  Though it would have been
clearer if I'd said "...the absence of an extension string to determine
whether *or not* a core function is hardware accelerated."

| From reading ARB meeting minutes, I can see that this problem has long
| plagued the ARB.  My person opinion is that OpenGL drier and application
| developers need to take a cue from other computer optimization:  the only
| way to determine if something is "fast enough" is to try it. ...

I've been a vocal proponent of that approach for a long time, and even
wrote the first version of the isfast library to suggest ways to
implement it.  But nowadays I'm a lot more open to a standardized query
mechanism than I used to be.

I think what most people are leaning toward is a "did I fall back to
software?" flag.  You'd use it by enabling the query, executing a
command to clear the flag, setting state, drawing some stuff, then
executing a command to query the flag.  If it's set, then the driver
found it necessary to fall back to some slower alternate implementation
(whatever that means is driver-dependent; it doesn't have to be HW vs.
SW).  That's fairly easy to implement, and efficient if it can be
limited to validation-time rather than drawing-time.  Interpreting the
result is easy for some cases, very hard for others, but probably always
easier than isfast (or other benchmarking schemes).

Actually, this would be a good small project for someone to implement in
Mesa.  If it seems to work well, it would make a great proposal for the
ARB.

Allen