Felix Kühling wrote:
Hi,

I made two small modifications to the radeon driver to make OpenGL look
much nicer with 16bpp. The first thing is to enable dithering, the
second is to use 32bpp textures even in 16bpp mode, if the application
requests them. A patch is attached.
I've turned it on unilaterally, for 16 and 32 bit. This is consistent with the enable/disable code in radeon_state.c

Maybe the texture color depth should be handled more intelligently in
16bpp mode, based on the amount of graphics memory or controlled by an
environment variable?
I think I'd want to see this sort of thing put in place, rather than the patch you posted which would increase the amount of texture memory required for some apps without giving the user a chance to counter that.

Keith