I'm not sure that statement is accurate.  On SGI, AIX, and Windows there are
various tools to tune the operation of the OpenGL driver.  On Linux we don't
have any of that.  Instead we've been using an ad-hoc collection of
environment variables to control debug output, HW TCL operation, page
flipping, refresh synchronization, and a ton of other stuff.

Perhaps it's time we thought about doing something better?
That would be a worthwhile project.

Brian's chromium configuration tools highlight some 'clean' ways to do this: Basically make the drivers report their own configuration options, and build a single tool that can talk to the drivers and build a sensible gui to allow users to tweak the options.

You'll need a config file somewhere, of course.

Keith