On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:24:22PM +0100, Felix Kühling wrote:
| But the choice for the following internalformats also depends on the
| screen color depth in the current implementation:
|
|    case GL_RGBA8:
|    case GL_RGB10_A2:
|    case GL_RGBA12:
|    case GL_RGBA16:
|
|    case GL_RGB8:
|    case GL_RGB10:
|    case GL_RGB12:
|    case GL_RGB16:
|
| Would it address your concerns if we would use _mesa_texformat_rgba8888
| unconditionally in all these cases?

I guess I've already covered the design-philosophy issues in other
postings, and Brian covered most of the things I would have said in
response to your questions.

The main things to do are to make sure that the "sized" formats are
respected as closely as possible, and to expose all the formats that the
hardware can actually support.

In cases where the choice of format is ambiguous, there's no perfect
answer, but you'll confuse fewer apps if you favor the higher-resolution
formats.  Games tend to be written with specific hardware platforms in
mind, so they're rarely confused.  Other apps tend to prefer high
resolution.  Current and future hardware suffers a lot less performance
penality from higher resolutions than previous-generation hardware, so
that's the target to aim for.

Allen