I will have to balk on Linus' opinion in this situation.  I will admit
that for a hacker, environment variables are the way to go.  Quick and
easy ... enough said on that.  *If* a system is going to be more user
friendly, then configuration files (text based) are the way to go.  My
reasoning for this is that it is really easy to have the documentation
right there in the config file.  Don't get me wrong - I don't believe in
rewarding stupidity - if you can't read the documentation you get what you
deserve.  I do enjoy the ability to pop into a config file, seeing
potential options and tweaks I can do and selecting them appropriate
options based on that.  A GUI tool that could easily edit this file should
be the ultimate goal (or maybe this should be left up to the appropriate
desktop environment *vendors*).

--
||  D. Hageman                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  ||