A while back it was suggested that benchmarking all of the various
DRI-compatible video cards might provide some interesting information.  I
just finished my first attempt at performing a slew of benchmarks with this
goal, and the results haven't been great.  It's certainly possible that (a)
some of the video cards might be bad since they were purchased on ebay, (b) I
didn't configure some of them properly, or (c) the CVS checkout I used had
problems.

At any rate, here are the results of the first run.  If anyone has suggestions
for fixing any of the cards which failed in one way or another, I would
really appreciate the feedback.

Setup:

I used an old ECS k7s5a pro motherboard with an Athlon 2400XP.  512 MB of
PC2100 Ram, onboard sound, IBM G74 monitor, and Maxtor ATA100 drive.

The OS was Debian Unstable, with the sources.list set to snapshot.debian.net
with a date of 15 Aug 2004.  The DRI packages I used are the same ones on my
server (CVS checkout from 15 Aug 04 with S3TC and Radeon DynamicPM.)

I shut off most of the services on the machine.  rcconf shows klogd, makedev,
and sysklogd as the only services active at boot.  The kernel used was
2.6.7-1-k7 from Debian.

Method:

All of the benchmarks were started with X already running.  I logged into a
user account, started X with "xinit /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -- :0" then ran the
benchmarks one after the other.

glxgears - let it run for 1 minute then marked down the highest score

quake2 - s_initsound 0, snd_restart, timedemo 1, map demo1.dm2.  Run each
resolution 2x and select the highest score.  Used "glx OpenGL" driver.

quake3 - s_initsound 0, snd_restart, timedemo 1, demo four.  Run each
resolution 2x and select the highest score.

RTCW - launched with "wolfmp +set sv_cheats 1", s_initsound 0, snd_restart,
timedemo 1, demo checkpoint.  Run each resolution 2x and select the highest
score.

Unreal Tournament - launch game, bring up console, "timedemo 1", wait for
second flyby to complete then mark down second score.

X and the games were all configured for 16 bit color.
r_ext_compressed_textures was set to 0.

Cards that didn't work:

Oxygen GMX 2000 96MB (gamma).  I tried various BusID values.  X would start,
but direct rendering was always disabled.

Diamond Speedstar a90 16MB (savage 4 pro+)  Lots of lockups.  glxgears gave
this a disappointing 229 fps.

Shuttle Spacewalker 16MB (sis 305)  Lots of crashing.  Problems with vesafb?
glxgears gave this 337.8 fps.

Rage Pro Turbo (mach64)  glxgears works with 181.6 fps, but every other OpenGL
program would crash.

Rage 128 Pro (r128)  At 640x480 this one seemed semi-reliable.  At 1024x768 it
usually froze.  glxgears gave this one 518.6 fps.

Cards that worked (more or less):

Voodoo 5-5500 64MB (tdfx)
glxgears - 1425.6
q2 640x480 - 56.4
q2 800x600 - 51.2
q2 1024x768 - 42.9
q3 640x480 - 95
q3 800x600 - 68
q3 1024x768 - 46.1
rtcw 640x480 - 57.6
rtcw 800x600 - 44.6
rtcw 1024x768 - 32.3
ut 640x480 - 80.79
ut 800x600 - 76.6
ut 1024x768 - 58.11
Notes: Seemed very reliable.

IBM SR9 16MB Savage 4 eXtreme (savage)
glxgears - 569.2
q2 640x480 - 49.4
q2 800x600 - 38.8
q2 1024x768 - 27.1
q3 640x480 - 45.1
q3 800x600 - 34.4
q3 1024x768 - 23.3
rtcw 640x480 - segfault
rtcw 800x600 - segfault
rtcw 1024x768 - segfault
ut 640x480 - 36.8
ut 800x600 - 28.78
ut 1024x768 - 20.6
Notes: The segfault in RTCW seemed to be related to the checkpoint demo.
wolfsp seemed to run fine.

Radeon DDR 32MB (r100)
glxgears - 1123
q2 640x480 - 87.8
q2 800x600 - 74.2
q2 1024x768 - 58.1
q3 640x480 - 114.9
q3 800x600 - 80.9
q3 1024x768 - 53.5
rtcw 640x480 - 85.5
rtcw 800x600 - 63.9
rtcw 1024x768 - 43.7
ut 640x480 - 82.97
ut 800x600 - 76.34
ut 1024x768 - 56.4
Notes: RTCW was substantially slower on the first run.  Screen became
corrupted once and was only fixed be a reboot.

Matrox G400 32MB (mga)
glxgears - 1000.2
q2 640x480 - 62.9
q2 800x600 - 52.3
q2 1024x768 - 40.2
q3 640x480 - 65.9
q3 800x600 - 51.4
q3 1024x768 - 36.4
rtcw 640x480 - 42.3
rtcw 800x600 - 33.5
rtcw 1024x768 - 24.7
ut 640x480 - 35.32
ut 800x600 - 30.98
ut 1024x768 - 26.7
Notes: Reliable, looks great.  UT suffered from lots of software fallback.

Radeon 8500 AIW 128MB (r200)
glxgears - 2583.4
q2 640x480 - 115
q2 800x600 - 105.4
q2 1024x768 - 88.2
q3 640x480 - 165.3
q3 800x600 - 131.5
q3 1024x768 - 90.6
rtcw 640x480 - 98.4
rtcw 800x600 - 92.2
rtcw 1024x768 - 68
ut 640x480 - 73.74
ut 800x600 - 73.4
ut 1024x768 - 67.14
Notes: Roland's observations about massive slowdown at the end of the UT flyby
are still accurate.  Although not tested, the 8500 locks up playing ut2003
and ut2004.

I have a few more cards to benchmark for comparison.

Nvidia - TNT2 and FX5200
FGLRX - Radeon 8500 AIW and Radeon 9600se

I also have a Radeon 9200 that I was unable to get working with this machine.

Once I have all the benchmarks together I'll make some pretty little graphs.

So....any suggestions, comments, feedback?

John