Which way can memory controller be misprogrammed ? The part that concerns
us are positions of Video RAM, AGP and System Ram in Radeon address space.
(these are specified by RADEON_MC_AGP_LOCATION, RADEON_MC_FB_LOCATION).

  The memory controller *always* assumes that system RAM (accessible via
PCI) starts at 0. So, if RADEON_MC_FB_LOCATION, for example, is set to 0
then we have video RAM overlapping system RAM.

Yup, and that is not recommended. We program it differently on r200 but
for some reason, X still does that hack to put it down at 0 on r300.

I wonder why. I always assumed that r300 should behave similarly to r200 - at least I can't see where the switch is. I certainly have not put any switches to change the behaviour (unless it was a mistake).

  Note that old driver was able to test whether mirroring works, so it
would correspond to behaviour of RV350 cards. It could be that R300 cards
are more touchy in this regard.

Might be worth trying to fallback to non-mirrored setup and see if that
helps.

The most puzzling thing is that lockup is not immediate (as I would have expected) and that it works on some chips..

                     best

                       Vladimir Dergachev

Ben.