John Kheit wrote:
Do these drivers do anything to support subpixel rendering of the text or screen images? Is any of that built in to the hardware acceleration, or is that done only at the operating system level?

I think on the Windows side, some of the Nvidia drivers do subpixel work on the driver level.

Can you be more specific?

If you're asking about line/triangle rasterization, I believe vertex coordinates are snapped/truncated to some sub-pixel fraction (rather than whole pixel coords) in all hardware.

For text, are you asking about some form of antialiasing?

Or, do you have multisampling in mind?

-Brian