On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:35:28PM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
| Suppose 2 clients render to the same backbuffer...

The (rare) cases in which I've seen this used, the clients are aware of
one another, and restrict their rendering to non-overlapping portions of
the drawable.  A "master" client is responsible for swap and clear.

I believe the intent of the spec was to allow CPU-bound apps to make use
of multiple processors.  Rendering to a single drawable, rather than
multiple drawables, allowed swap to be synchronized.

I recall discussions about ways to coordinate multiple command streams
so that rendering to overlapping areas of the drawable could be handled
effectively, but I don't remember any apps that used such methods.

Allen