On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 17:27 -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:

> Apps are using and will increasingly use the glMapBuffer path.  With the
> information currently at hand, doing the alloc/copy/upload/free in the
> driver might be the win.  Great.  It's way too soon to box ourselves
> into that route.  If we're going to be stuck with an unchangeable
> interface for another 5 years, it had better be flexible enough to
> support more than one way to do things under the sheets.

No-one is forcing anyone to do anything -- certainly gem supports mmap
as well as pwrite, so you can do whichever you prefer. The reason pwrite
was added was to support the SubData path directly in the kernel,
instead of providing only a map/copy/unmap path. That way the kernel
gets to choose how it implements both paths, and so does the
application.