Enno Fennema wrote:
> My longer term aim is to understand what my Radeon SE9200 can and cannot
> do. Mesa is so clever that it hides by software when hardware is
> deficient. I think that only by getting access to the the drm kernel
> driver can I start exploring the hardware.

The DRM only exposes a few simple ioctls; the actual acceleration is
done in Mesa. You'll need to read through the Mesa r200 code to
understand what your card can and cannot do. :3

> As John Bridgman wrote DRI might be useful too for non-GL applications,
> which do want contact with the X server not to clobber other windows but
> otherwise would like to access non-GL capabilities of the hardware or GL
> capabilities in a differnt way.

That sounds icky. We're already working on a project called Gallium3D,
which allows us to write non-GL apps in a standardized, simple way. (Of
course, unfortunately, r200 isn't planned as part of Gallium3D... :C )

> Radeon documentation is possibly available but under non disclosure
> conditions which I do not want to accept. At least I found very little
> publicly available.

r200 is documented in code; check out the r200-specific parts of
xf86-video-ati and Mesa for more info.

> In the short run I try to understand a bit better how DRI manages the
> relation ships between X windows, those that GLXWindows and, maybe an
> impossible animal, a DRM Window, which shows consideration for other X
> windows.

It's already been done with cairo-drm, which created Cairo contexts
directly bound to i915 hardware through DRM. So it's certainly possible.

~ C.