On 9 Dec 2001, Nathan E Probst wrote:

> Awww...phooey!  Why the sudden change of heart?  I like the looks of the
> syntax below very much.  XML, I suppose, is easier to parse, etc...  Is
> that temporary arrangement?

Mostly due to ease of implementation to get something going.

Nothing will limit future possibilities.  This is just
one-of-many-possible syntaxes (synti?).

Using a non-XML syntax, the sequence is the lex the characters into
tokens, assemble sequences of tokens into parse structures, and then
build an abstract syntax tree (AST).  I walk the AST to then do my
condition expression analysis.

No problem up to this point.

The problem is then re-assembling the various nodes of the AST
that represent the THEN block back into just one Big Ass String,
for passing back to BeanShell for evaluation.

That's possible, but requires a fair bit of busy-work, to have
a tree-walker that can accumlate abstract tokens back into text.

Using XML, I can treat the <then> element as opaque string content.

Though, so far, the vote is 1-0 in favor of the original non-XML syntax,
which is also my personal preference.  If you don't mind a 'schedule slip'
of about a week, we can go with the non-XML format initially.

        -bob