Thank you so much Evan and Douglas for taking the time to help.
I did end up going with your approach Douglas, I am using annotated SQL
where I can, but for the dynamic queries, I am using the jdbi handle and
executing the SQL that way.

In case anyone else finds this thread looking for similar help, I should
add that in my DAO class, I imported the following class which comes
bundled with dropwizard
org.skife.jdbi.v2.sqlobject.mixins.GetHandlecode here...

Then, I made my class implement GetHandle, by doing that, I can then do

this.getHandle();

in order to get access to the database connection.