Hi Alan,

I think we're at the point now of checking log files to see what Tomcat is
doing, what DSpace is doing, etc.
Can I check that Tomcat knows where to find your webapps? That is, you've
either copied webapps like 'jspui' into your Tomcat default webapp base, or
symlink'd them in rather than copied, or configured Tomcat to look in
${dspace}/webapps for your webapp base for the "tomcat-url:8080" context?

If your Tomcat logs (probably somewhere like /var/log/tomcat/....) show
hardly any information and just log 'not found' errors for the requests to
/jspui, I'd say that it doesn't know that webapp even exists -- we'll have
to tell it where it is
(https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/context.html) or do
something like a symlink (eg. let's say your DSpace dir is /dspace and your
tomcat webapps dir is /usr/share/tomcat8/webapps,  then we'd do 'ln -s
/dspace/webapps/jspui /usr/share/tomcat8/webapps/jspui' (as the DSpace /
tomcat user)

Which reminds me, make sure the 'dspace' user is also the user that
owns+runs tomcat8. This can be a bit of a common pitfall... I typically
just use the default tomcat user (eg tomcat or tomcat8) as my "dspace" user
and don't worry about making a new specially named account, that just adds
confusion, forces me to reconfigure tomcat8 to start up as a different
user, etc...

If Tomcat can find jspui but is having an error, you might see some
exceptions when it tries to load the applications or kernel, and you might
see some errors in the logs in /dspace/logs/ as well.
(feel free to paste them here if you do)

Cheers

Kim