I agree completely. I listed this a long time ago as one of my pet
peeves with DSpace:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/~helix84/DSpace+pet+peeves

But I wouldn't make the restriction that site cannot contain items. We
can imagine a site without the rigid hierarchy, where you would slice
through content only via arbitrary facets, not a pre-defined structure
(virtual sets). So we should replace Site, Community and Collection
with a single type of container, whatever it may be called.

Regarding the lack of bundle as a superfluous container, I also wrote
about that as one of the reasons for adopting metadata for all; now it
can finally be implemented.

All in all, think about these as moving away from a single, rigid
structure of containership to multiple, dynamic structures of
relationships described by properties. To truly leverage this, it
would be beneficial for us to adopt triplets (although we might lose
the option of using DSpace for just dumping flat data into it).

Regards,
~~helix84