Hi All,

Here's an idea that I've been thinking about for some time. What if
DSpaceObjects Community and Container got merged together into an object
called Container. Thus, you could submit an item to a container. You could
also add a container to a container. You couldn't submit an item to the
root though.

I was wondering if anyone else has been considered this, and if there are
pro's con's of such a change.

So, current DSpaceModel hierarchy is:
Site
- Community
- - Collection
- - - Item
- - - - Bundle
- - - - - Bitstream

With the Container change, it would be:
Site
- Container
- - Item
- - - Bundle
- - - - Bitstream

Bundle is feeling a bit vestigial at this time, now that we have
metadata4all, so Bundle could get yanked out. We would still need to
indicate the type of bitstream, but perhaps would could do something to
indicate derived bitstreams and relationships between source and derived
better. With the Bundle change, and the Container change, the model looks
like:
Site
- Container
- - Item
- - - Bitstream

Then, I'm also thinking about with that SITE DSO, doesn't this sort of
imply that a DSpace instance could be multi-tenant. One DSpace instance
could hold multiple sites? Yes, obviously all of these ideas being positing
would require work, cleanup, and discussion. I'm just wondering if anyone
has thoughts on these approaches.

Peter Dietz
Longsight
www.longsight.com