Hi Hilton,

  Looking at their proposal I can see that as an institution we’ll be excluded
on at least 3 points, assuming that they meant to finish point 4 with “will be
excluded”.

    4) Repositories using ports others than 80 or 8080

    5) Institutional repositories that use the name of the software in the host
name will be excluded.

    6) Institutional repositories that use more than 4 directory levels for the
URL address of the full texts will be excluded.

  We’ll be excluded by point 4 as we use https rather than http (there is a
redirect on http that bounces visitors to the https site).  We’ll be excluded
by point 5 as our repository has a hostname of dspace.  Finally we’ll be
excluded by point 6 as our setup has 5 directories to the full text.

  But looking at what actually is important here, which I believe to be the
visibility of our repository’s content, I found myself ruling out making any
changes to comply with their proposal.  If we switch to http as suggested by
their point 4 then we’ll actually worsen our position in Google search results.
 From the point of view of point 5 I can’t see anyway to justify the workload
required to switch hostnames and keep all the legacy links working (if we let
the old links break then our visibility will definitely decrease). Finally
trying to do anything about point 6 would require extensive changes to our
DSpace configuration and code (and the same large workload to keep the legacy
links working).

  In other words our repository’s visibility will be negatively affected if we
try to complying with their new proposal.

Regards,

  Jason Cooper.