Hi All,

Thanks for the notifications here & great analysis!

DuraSpace is tracking all these points/analysis and we've come up with a
few additional ones (see below). I fully agree that the newly proposed
Webometrics standards are not ideal as they will accidentally exclude a
large portion of DSpace sites. DuraSpace will be drafting up a response
to detail the response to these newly proposed guidelines:

http://repositories.webometrics.info/en/node/26

Some of the highest concerns have already been rightly pointed out by
all of you:

* Rule #2 (IRs that don't use the institutional domain will be excluded)
would cause the exclusion of some IRs which are hosted by service
providers. As an example, some DSpaceDirect users have URLs
https://*.dspacedirect.org which would cause their exclusion as it is a
non-institutional domain. Other hosting providers have similar
non-institutional domain URLs.

* Rule #4 (Repositories using ports other than 80 or 8080) would wrongly
exclude all DSpace sites which use HTTPS (port 443).

* Rule #5 (IRs that use the name of the software in the hostname would
be excluded) may also affect IRs which are hosted by service providers
(like DSpaceDirect). Again, some DSpaceDirect customers have URLs which
use *.dspacedirect.org (includes "dspace"). This rule would also exclude
MIT's IR which is the original "DSpace": http://dspace.mit.edu/

* Rule #6 (IRs that use more than 4 directory levels for the URL address
of the full texts will be excluded.) may exclude a large number of
DSpace sites. The common download URLs for full text in DSpace are both
are at least 4 directory levels deep:

    - XMLUI: [dspace-url]/bitstream/handle/[prefix]/[id]/[filename]
    - JSPUI: [dspace-url]/bitstream/[prefix]/[id]/[sequence]/[filename]

* Rule #7 (IRs that use more than 3 different numeric (or useless) codes
in their URLs will be excluded.). It is unclear how they would determine
this, and what the effect may be on DSpace sites worldwide. Again,
looking at the common DSpace URL paths above, if a file had a "numeric"
name, it may be excluded as DSpace URLs already include 2-3 numeric
codes by default ([prefix],[id], and [sequence] are all numeric).

* Rule #8 (IRs with more than 50% of the records not linking to OA full
text versions..). Again, unclear how they would determine this, and
whether the way they are doing so would accidentally exclude some major
DSpace sites. For example, there are major DSpace sites which include a
larger number of Theses/Dissertations. These Theses/Dissertations may
not be 100% Open Access to the world, but may be fully accessible
everyone "on campus".

Again, DuraSpace will work on a response. As you can see from my points
above, we are already in the midst of drafting one. If I've missed any
additional points, please do feel free to forward them my way!

- Tim