Points 4, 6 and  7 reveal a profound lack of understanding of
hypertext and fundamental security issues, and I would not be
surprised to learn that they ignore typical user behavior as well.
Does anyone but a sysadmin. or developer really type in direct URLs to
repository content?  Citations please.

I would argue that we can better do without appearing in the "Ranking
Web of Repositories," whatever that is, than to give up the ability
to protect our users' credentials.  (Point 4, which disallows HTTPS)

Point 5 is just bizarre.  Why does someone think this is a problem?
Not that I think it particularly useful to use the name of supporting
software in naming a repository service, but how can it possibly hurt?

Are there any actual statistics to support the belief that long URLs
in the interior of a service actually affect anyone's behavior?

It sounds like there should be some discussion among the various
parties.  Where?

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst