Hi,

Have you checked your DSpace logs to see if there were any errors reported
there, either from the 'dspace database migrate', or from the full site
reindex (over the weekend)?  That'd be the first place I'd recommend
checking if there are missing items.

More on checking logs for errors at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Troubleshoot+an+error

Also, I'd recommend comparing the number of items listed in "Browse by
Title" between the two versions (DSpace 3.6 and 5.5).  That will give you
better information on whether all the Items have been updated/upgraded
successfully. It sounds like you are comparing the numbers in "Browse by
Author"...and while those should pretty much match up, it is possible that
DSpace 5 has reindexed your author information in such a way that it
removed some duplicates that may have existed in DSpace 3.

You also may wish to verify that any configurations from your old DSpace
(version 3.6) have been brought forward into DSpace 5.5. So, for example,
if you customized Browse by Author settings (in dspace.cfg) to also use
extra fields (not just "dc.contributor.author"), then you should verify
that DSpace 5 is using those same fields (if it is not, then its author
count would be lower).

That's just a couple of ideas that come to mind. Hopefully one of them will
help you start to figure out what may be going on.  As always, let us know
if you have further questions or figure out more of what may be happening.

Good luck,

Tim