Curiouser and curiouser...

After one of my changes introduced weird formatting errors to the webpage I
rolled back an earlier version.
On inspection I saw it was reporting even more records than before
(differences of 123, 70, 0 from what I
was expecting). This was great news.
But an hour later when I checked again the differences had increased to the
figures I noted before! What
happened? None of the dspace cron scripts were due to run for >12hrs so I
doubt they were involved.

I've hunted for records which are missing on the new system to see if
there's an obvious reason why they
were dropped. We did find a difference in the number of fields in one of
the tables but I don't know if that's
even related to this issue.

What exactly is the difference between the old database format and the new?
We haven't introduced any
modifications that I'm aware of so there must be another reason migration
is partially failing for us.

.