You got the 404 page not found error because you needed to run
[dspace]/index-discovery after the change you have made to this item. Try
the steps you see below. It should fix it.
1) /dspace/bin/dspace database migrate
2) /dspace/bin/dspace database validate
3) /dspace/bin/dspace database status
4) Change using pgAdmin https://hdl.handle.net/your-handle-prefix/1916 to
https://your-server-domain-name/handle/your-handle-prefix/1916
5) /dspace/bin/dspace index-discovery -f -i
e56a5422-b32b-4000-95dd-86467ef21c35
6) Copy over the old assetstore folder from the old server to the new
Ubuntu server into /dspace/assetstore folder.
7) Try to access this item you changed and try download to PDF file.

You are a stubborn man I must admin :-).
Hop it helps you.