Hello Kate,

On Jul 25, 2007, at 4:48 PM, Ekaterina Pechekhonova wrote:

>> We need to reiterate and recognize that in the DSpace 2.0
>> Architectural Model it was of strong interest that "Metadata" can be
>>
>> attached at any level of the Data Model (Community, Collection, Item,
>>
>> Manifestation and Content).  That for all practical purposes, and
>> External Identifiers are "just Metadata" and as such should be
>> assignable across the entire model either manually or dynamically.
>
> if I understand it right, nobody has problems with "should be
> assignable"
> but some people(including myself) are concerned that it will become
> "should be assigned" at some point. I personally think that it's
> more likely
> to happen, if an attempt is made to stick to one implementation of
> ExternalIdentifier Service instead of allowing multiple
> implementations.

No, IMO, thats exactly the opposite of the direction that the
developers such as James are seeking, we're trying to undo the
restrictions forced on the system through hardcoded logic and forced
dependency on specific technologies (like Handle Services) in favor
of shifting it into a configurable strategy that gives a IR manager
the ability to setup the system the way they see fit. For DSpace 1.6
There will continue to be a default configuration and implementation
which is handle based, but the goal is to allow for other
implementations in parallel or completely replacing the default.

-Mark

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Office: E25-131
Phone: (617) 253-1096