On Jan 7, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Andrew Marlow wrote:

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 7:41 AM, mikan.d.dspace listmail <mikan.dsp...@gmail.com > wrote:
Andew,
If I remember correctly, DSpace 2.0 should not be dependent on
database software, so you can use whatever DB you like.

Having looked some more into DSpace 2.0 I think it is not ready enough. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong. DSpace 1.5.1 seems eminently usable to me and seems to have most of the functionality that I require. So it seems to me that an increment to support MySQL is more appropriate. I wonder who else is using or considering using DSpace 1.5.1 with MySQL....?

Yes, 2.0 is not going to be giving you an immediate solution to your problem.

I would recommend exploring this further, I'm not sure why there hasn't been a port to MySQL placed into dspace/etc/myslq/*.sql yet. It would be a starting point for customization. The challenge with porting to any other SQL dialect with DSpace is that there are conditional blocks of code peppered throughout the implementation that are vendor specific, you may find yourself adding conditions to these for mysql where appropriate.

Regards,
Mark

2008/12/24 Andrew Marlow <marlow.and...@googlemail.com>:
> By trawling the web I see that othershave asked in the past about DSpace > supporting MySQL. Soneone even submitted a patch for it, I believe, but this > appears not to have made it into 1.5.1. However, versions with the changes > necessary for MySQL are out there. See the article about one million items > at http://digital-scholarship.org/digitalkoans/category/dspace. So I was
> wondering, what plans are there to officially support mySQL?

Andrew M.
http://www.andrewpetermarlow.co.uk

Mark R. Diggory
http://purl.org/net/mdiggory/homepage