Hi Gary,

I am indeed using 1.5.1.  Sorry about the confusion, but I confirmed that
Messages.properties is indeed in

/[my dspace-source]/dspace/modules/jspui/src/main/resources

I made sure the dspace user was the owner of both the dspace source and tomcat
directories, then followed the four steps you outlined successfully.  But when
I attempted to define a context path in Tomcat for JSPUI and restarted Tomcat,
I got a 404 error when loading the dspace webpage with the message "The
requested resource () is not available."  Undoing the change I made to the
tomcat server.xml file and copying the JSPUI webapp to Tomcat's webapps
directory worked, but my changes to Messages.properties still aren't reflected.

When changing the tomcat server.xml file, I also made sure to specify my dspace
install directory and that the changes were made within the host element.

FYI, changing the owner to the dspace user did indeed take care of those
"failure to delete" build errors I was getting.

You also mentioned trying the source release rather than the default release.
Would I be able to change my install to the source release without overwriting
my current configuration and data?

I appreciate all the help.

Cheers,

Eric